Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Author Spotlight with Cody L Martin, Author of Adventure Hunters.


Very excited to share with you this Author Spotlight on fellow Independent Author Cody L. Martin. Cody has been kind enough to answer my quick fire questions and to share some personal and professional insights with us. 

Name: Cody L. Martin

How long have you been writing?

Off and on for about sixteen years. 
I wrote my first full-length screenplay in high school. After that, I began to write more of them; starting out as fanfics for TV shows I liked, then moving on to original works. About four years ago, I decided to write shorts stories as taking a break from screenplays. When I decided to become an independent author, I turned one of my original screenplays into my first novel. Adventure Hunters is the result.





Who has most influenced or inspired your writing?


He is the author I read the most and his book On Writing is pretty much my writing Bible. The way he writes characters, using their voice in the POVs, it’s amazing. In a roundabout way, George Lucas and Steve Jobs, since they brought about technology that has let anyone become an author. Also, screenwriter Syd Field and his book Screenplay. I learned about structure and outlining from his book. It’s been invaluable.

What is your most favourite book and why?

That’s a tough one but the the book that sprung to mind first was The Cold Moon by Jeffery Deaver. He’s a master of plot twists and The Watchmaker was such a neat villain.

What are you currently working on?

The Super School Uniform

In it, a Japanese middle high school students gains an alien suit that gives her superpowers. She must stop an alien race from transforming the Earth into a copy of their homeworld. It’s been harder to write than I expected but I will finish it. I’ve included cultural notes based on my experiences as a junior high assistant English teacher in Japan, I’m hoping the readers will gain a little insight into the school system and culture.

What is your favourite genre to read and to write?

Action and science-fiction. 

I actually watch more movies than read, so I try to write novels that would match a movie I’d want to watch. I like these genres because they are such escapisms. When I read or watch a movie, I don’t want to be reminded about how bad the real-world is. I want to get away, away to worlds and characters that are bigger than life.

What tips would you give readers when choosing a book?

With an ebook, download the sample. That’s why they are there. Don’t judge a book by it’s cover, especially sci-fi and fantasy. There are some gorgeous covers on bad books. As well as bad covers on good books. Read the first few chapters, skip to a few pages in the middle.

What tip would you give authors when promoting their books?

Get help! Hahaha. I’m not good at promoting, so I’m glad to have a support group like Master Koda on Facebook.

Other than writing do you have any other passions/ hobby's or jobs?

My current job is teaching at an English cram school in Japan. I really like it. As for any other passions, probably music from Hello! Project, an umbrella name for different artists under the same company. Artists include Morning Musume (my all-time favorite singers), Berryz Kobou, and C-ute. Watching movies as well and spending as much time as I can with my wife Yoko (which, sadly, isn’t nearly enough).

What's your dream?

To become a full-time writer. If I could get paid enough to do it all the time, I’d quit my job and write. With each book I’m trying to be better and better.

If you could write a book with any famous author, dead or alive, who would it be and why?

My first impulse was to say Stephen King since he’s my favorite writer, but I’m a huge fan of Jeffery Deaver as well. He’s a master at plots and he outlines and plans his stories, as do I. I think I’d learn a lot about structuring and outlining by working with him.

Have you any big writing plans for 2013?

I’ll just be happy to get my second book published.

What is the best review of your work you've received to date?

None. I don’t have any reviews of Adventure Hunters (hint, hint, to all you reading this post).



Is there anything else you would like to share or tell us?

Support independent authors. (I don’t like the word indies). Leave reviews, ratings, comments, anything. The publishing industry is changing and whatever we can do to increase the quality of our work, we will do. But we can’t do it without readers letting us know what works and what doesn’t.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Do remember to stalk, connect, hook up and support Cody: 

Twitter Handle: @kitamurafan

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/cody.martin.52

Blog/ Website: http://codylmartin.blogspot.jp 

Here are some links to my stuff:



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails