Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Her Mother's Daughter: Chapter 1


 On twitter and facebook I asked you all if you might be interested in reading something a little different. I wrote this, or started writing this book, about 2 and a half years ago, currently its unfinished, in total there are about 9 Chapters. Because it is so different, I wanted to share it with you all and see what you think. 

Remember, this is unedited and unfinished. 

The story focuses on Trudy Toomey, her family and all their lives, unfolding before you over a series of emails between them all. Those involved in the story have the uncanny ability to jump the gun and get things wrong... like us all... 

I hope you enjoy the first chapter and want to see more... go easy on me, this is an experiment :) 

Chapter 1

To: Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com
Date: April 29th 2009

Shelly

I’m worried. Brian is still acting strange! Should I be worried? Obviously I am, but well maybe it’s just a guy thing? What do you think? I can’t get it out of my mind, it’s a niggle that something is different… or changed. Not necessarily a bad niggle. Just a niggle. I asked Shelia what she thought at the weekend (we went to mum’s for Sunday dinner) and she said he was acting normal. Imelda, was of course her helpful self and told me to dump the loser, that if after 5 years he hadn’t produced a ring that I had more to be worried about than just a niggle! (Am still convinced she is adopted).

Fancy heading out on Thursday? Can I come in for a quick blow dry beforehand?

I best head; I’ve been so up in the clouds recently that I’m sure I am going to get fired for not doing any work. That and ever since Ms Marshall got promoted to Head of Housekeeping she has been lording it over me and watching my every move. I’m convinced she is reading my emails.

Hugs
Trudy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Date: May 3rd 2009

Trudy

Mum’s birthday is coming up, I was thinking if we all pooled our money together we could get her that nice Marcaseed watch she has had her on eye since Christmas? I spoke to Mark about it and he is up for it, and I’ll check with Imelda too.

I was thinking of heading in on Tuesday to collect, fancy meeting for lunch in town and getting it together?

Shelia
Xoxo

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From: Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com
Date: May 7th 2009

Oh Trudy,

I’m in love! Remember those two guys we met on Thursday? Nigel and Ross? Well I’ve been seeing both of them! I know, I know – this is the Canaries Island episode all over again but I can’t help it. And I figure they are both only in the country for the next 2 weeks so what harm can it be? Maybe I’ll even elope with one back to LA and I could be on that Real Desperate Housewives of Orange County!! Imagine!

So have you confronted Brian about his trip to the jewellers or better still did you find the box? I can’t believe you didn’t ask the sales guy what he bought when you went in for the watch! Now you and Shelia are sure it was definitely Brian who walked in. Even with sitting outside at Romanio’s it’s still some distance to see across to the Jewellers door.

By the way, if he does pop the question and you make Imelda a bridesmaid over me I will never speak to you again! I don’t care if she is your twin!

Oh here’s Mrs. Dobson in for her blue rinse, I better dash – I don’t know why she insists on coming here! She is my oldest client by about 100 years.

Laters
Shelly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To: Trudy Toomey; gertrudetoomey@floralyshotelgroup.com         
Date: May 9th 2009

Gertrude

It has come to my attention that your internet and email usage has exceeded the monthly allowance for the fourth month running. As discussed during our recent one on one, while recreational emails are not forbidden, employees are asked to keep them to an extreme minimum. Due to a number of breaches in this area it has been discussed by the management that a maximum of 5 recreational emails may be sent by each employee per day.  A companywide email will be circulated to this effect to all shortly but as a number of complaints had been made about you specifically, I wanted to address the matter with you personally. 

If you have any questions relating to this or any other company matters please do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Maxwell Harris
General Manager 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Date: May 11th 2009

Dear Mr. Glover

We are delighted that head office has chosen our hotel as their base when they come to Ireland to investigate expanding the Floralys Hotel Group portfolio. Unfortunately our GM, Maxwell Harris is on sick leave at present but I am happy to help in any way I can until his return.

As requested on your fax I have booked the required number of rooms and arranged the necessary transport to and from the airport and for during your stay. I hope you don’t mind, but I have booked an alternative car provider, they are a local firm who are 35% cheaper and more efficient and reliable than those you had selected.

I also wondered, as many of your delegation are from aboard, they might enjoy attending a number of the cultural nights that we put on for guests here in the hotel. I am not sure what your schedule is like but I have attached our upcoming Events Schedule for consideration and have reserved the required number of tickets for your party in the event you would like to attend any of the functions and shows.

I also noticed from your fax that there was no instruction to book an evening meal at Mr. Garmin’s favourite restaurant. As this place books up pretty quick I reserved the private room for the Friday of your stay just in case.

If there is anything else you require please do let me know.

Kind Regards,

Trudy Toomey
Reservations & Reception

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To: Rachelle Sinclair;  rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com;
      Shelia Toomey; sheliatoomey@maidenheadinsurance.com
Date: May 14th 2009

I found it! The little black box that is. Before you ask, I wasn’t searching like you both suggested I do! I was putting away some winter jumpers at the back of the wardrobe and hit off a box, it tumbled to the floor and out fell a little bag and the box rolled out of it. It rolled under the chest of drawers. I didn’t open it. I thought about. Believe me. I sat on the bed for an age just staring at it. But I couldn’t bring myself to open it. What if it’s awful, like I hate it, what do I do then, I’ll be on edge the entire time wondering when he is going to do it. Can you say to someone, I HATE my engagement ring? Like is that grounds for divorce before you are even married? But then I told myself, calm down, Brian has good taste. Remember that bracelet and that chain he bought me? And ALL the clothes? So I told myself that it will be GORGEOUS, and not to look cause I’ll spoil the surprise! I also found some holiday brochures too… ones for Europe, I think he plans on doing it on a weekend away – how romantic is that!!

Kisses
Trudy

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From: Tim Reynolds; events@pineconecastle.com
Date: May 17th 2009

Dear Trudy,

Many thanks for your interest in hosting your wedding reception at Pine Cone Castle we currently have a number of dates available in June 2011, though sadly not the bank holiday weekend.

You seem rather familiar with our venue and while yes we will of course work with you and your fiancé on any menu you like the summer 2011 menus will not be created until spring 2011. 

Perhaps you and your fiancé would like to make an appointment with me to discuss available dates for your wedding.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

Tim Reynolds
Events Manager

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From: Maxwell Harris; maxwellharris@floralyshotelgroup.com
Date: May 20th 2009

Trudy

I received an email from Danny Glover in head office this morning, commending me on my excellently efficient staff. You were personally named in the email and I would just like to thank you for your work during my absence. I am glad that when it is called for you can step up to the mark. I hope this is the start of what is yet to come.

On a more personal note, I believe congratulations are order, a good friend of mine, Tim Reynolds, let slip over the weekend that you had been in touch with him about hosting your wedding reception at Pine Cone Castle. I take it as I have heard no rumblings among staff that you have yet to make an announcement; I will of course keep quiet until you do so.

Please remember that employees are dissuaded from making such announcements via email.

Kind Regards,

Maxwell Harris
General Manager

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Date: May 20th 2009

Trudy

What do you mean the GM thinks you are engaged? Why on earth would you email Pine Cone Castle about holding your wedding reception there when you won’t even look in the jewellery box to see what the ring looks like? Sometimes I think mum was on drugs when she was pregnant with you and Imelda!

I suppose it’s a good thing he said he wouldn’t say anything! Just keep quiet until Brian actually pops the questions! And for god sake don’t go contacting any other wedding vendors just yet! You’ll have the whole thing booked and mum will throw a hissy fit she wasn’t involved!!

I’m off home how, haven’t been feeling well all day.

Hugs
Shelia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From: Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com
Date: May 24th 2009

Trudy,

So what did everyone in the office think of your new chocolate locks? I must say the chocolate is gorgeous on you! And just in time for this big important delegation to arrive too!!

So I have a bit of a confession. Curiosity got the better of me the other night when I was at yours and while you were ‘developing’ in the bathroom I snuck into your room for a look at the ring. I don’t know whether to tell you or not about what I found… do you want me to tell you?? Mail me.

Soz and Kisses and Hugs
Shelly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


To: Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouches.com
Date: May 25th 2009

Hey Shelly

It’s not your fault. Clearly I got the wrong end of the stick again! I am a little disappointed that the diamond earrings aren’t a diamond ring but as you say they are gorgeous!!

No, they are definitely not for mum; Brian bought her a lovely brooch to match her watch for her birthday. I reckon he bought them for my birthday next month.

Looks like I can release the 3rd weekend in June next year from Pine Cone after all… now that will be an interesting conversation with Tim… why does the hotel world have to be so small? Am convinced that Maxwell has already told the Ms Marshall – she keeps dropping hints!

UGH, best get back to it!

Trudy
xx

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From: Brian Manning; brianmanning@bricewater.com
Date: May 26th 2009

Hey Babe,

Got a weird voice mail from some guy in Pine Cove, something about our booking and the deposit being due? Is this for your Mum’s birthday? I thought that was happening in La Villa Rosa? Anyhow if you need to me drop down a deposit let me know, I could do it tomorrow on my way to gym.

Brian

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Date: May 28th 2009

Trudy,

Oh wow, Prague you lucky thing! Has he cleared the dates for you with work? What am I saying of course he has, who books a weekend away and not the dates off!! Well I am jealous! Did you see what weekend you are going?

Have you an outfit sorted for the mum’s birthday? Can you believe she is 55? As far as I know she doesn’t know a thing about the party. It will be such a surprise! Am meeting Imelda in town at lunch to go shopping, wanna join us?

Hugs
Shelia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


From: Rachelle Sinclair; rachellesinclair@finaltouhes.com
Date: May 29th 2009

Trudy,

Are you sure Imelda was actually talking to a guy? Where the words ‘I love you’ actually used? I can’t imagine her in a relationship longer than a week – in fact has she ever been in a relationship longer than a week?

Did Shelia really throw up in the dressing room? Like all over the place? I know I shouldn’t laugh, but that is just hilarious. I can’t believe they made her buy all 5 dresses! She must be livid! What did the doctor say? Did you go in with her? I hope she is ok for the party.

You’ll never guess who emailed me! Ross! I was so surprised! I knew he was going on to London before heading back home and I had kinda totally forgotten about him, I have even been out for a drink with a guy called Ben, he started working next door. Nice guy, but maybe just a bit too nice for me, anyways, I log in this morning and there it was an email from Ross. He said he had only landed in the door at home and the first thing he did was email me – maybe I am still in love?!

Mail me.
Shelly

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Date: June 3rd 2009

Trudy,

I know you too don’t get on, but I do feel sorry for Imelda. She did seem so excited to introduce her new boyfriend to the family on Saturday. Did she actually say why he didn’t show up? It was nice of Brian to pay her some attention so she didn’t feel so left out. I must ask mum about him. I think she has met him.

No, it’s the hangover from hell! I just haven’t been able to shake this tummy bug. Work are going mad, they keep sending me home – they don’t want to spread it around. I might go to the Doctor during the week if it doesn’t lift.

I know your birthday is 3 weeks away, but any sign of the gift or the trip being mentioned?

Big Hugs
Shelia

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


       Shelia Toomey; sheliatoomey@maidenheadinsurance.com;
      Mark Toomey; marktoomey@toomeydiy.com;
      Imelda Toomey; imeldatoomey@berghauslegal.com
From: Gertrude Toomey; gertrudetoomey@sqwuak.com
Date: June 4th 2009

Dear Kids,

This is your mother, I just wanted to say a big Thank You for the wonderful party you and your father threw me! I had such a blast, and while I am not happy that everyone now knows that I’m 55 I am thrilled with the big night and fuss that was made of me.

My watch is just gorgeous and I love the inscription!

Now the rest of you can go back to work, this part is just for Trudy, - sorry pet don’t have time to call you back, but in answer to your questions; as far as I know she has been seeing someone now for a couple of months, it could even be longer, you know Imelda she is so secretive. No I haven’t met him. He never collects her from the house, which I thought was odd, but he is very generous – always sending her flowers. In fact he bought her a lovely pair of diamond earrings there during the week, some sort of anniversary I think she said it was. Oh and they are off to some European city for the weekend, Prague I think – he is taking her for her birthday!

Talk soon,
Mum 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails